The Importance of Electrical Design
When designing the layout of any system, many different things must be considered. The most important, however, always concerns the flow of a substance. Proper climate control and ventilation deals with how air flows through a facility. The facility’s floor plan shows how people will flow through a system, via doors, corridors, stairwells and elevators. The goal of any designer is to make this substance flow as easy as possible. The same goes for an electrical designer. They try to maximize the efficiency of energy flow throughout the various systems and subsystems of a power grid.
Designing or re-designing your electrical systems for increased efficiency or reduced energy use is one of the many specialties of Innovative Automation Concepts. With our design expertise, you can improve your output while keeping your energy costs low.
The Design Process
Electrical design is not easy. Experienced electrical engineers and electricians are the ones qualified to draw up a design. However, many designs of different companies are proprietary (meaning the schematics are exclusive property of the company that designed them) and/or difficult to navigate. It is the hallmark of a quality designer to make their design simple and easy to understand, so repairs or changes can be made easily.
Steps of electrical design are as follows:
- Writing the specification document - A document, written in plain language, specifying what is needed in the system or subsystem. A technical specification document may also be written, which goes into more detail.
- Functional diagrams - These show block diagrams indicating power flow and connections between components.
- Schematic diagrams - More detailed, these show the individual electric interconnections between components.
- Wiring diagrams (possible) - In some systems, enough information can be placed on the board so that showing and naming the termination points of each conductor is not needed.
- Wire list - A spreadsheet is created with the order of wires to be connected. It contains individual wire names, terminal name, and the wire number or gauge.
These can be for a very simple subsystem, for a few light fixtures in a room, or a large-scale system. No matter the case, an experienced electrical designer must have input on the creation of these designs to ensure everything has been done properly.
Contact Us Today!
Electrical design is an important skill to have available to you. You can improve your power consumption, and simplify a previously complicated layout. Plus, the electrical design capabilities we have at Innovative Automation Concepts allow us to make any repairs easier by making schematics easier to understand!
At IAC, we can determine the best design or design change for your business’ electrical systems. We are dedicated to supporting every job we do. If there is any misstep within a project, we will solve it with as little cost to you as possible. Innovative Automation Concepts is experienced in electrical design, building automation, industrial network management, Systems integration, panel building, and PLC/DCS programming. If you have any questions for us about a possible project, or if you would like any more information, please contact Innovative Automation Concepts today!